Friday, December 7, 2012

Receiving in the Giving ...


 
 
A Christmas candle is a lovely thing;
it makes no noise at all,
but softly gives itself away;
while quite unselfish, it grows small.
~ Eva K. Logue

 
 
 

Again with the Wal-Mart lineup!  But on this occasion, I was blessed with the opportunity to make a difference.

It was one of those quick run to the store to pick up the last of  the trimmings.  Friends were coming for a Christmas social and the decor was just not complete.  Looking up at the clock, I noticed that I had just enough time to get home, fuss with the decor and set up the trays before everyone got there.  My foot started tapping.  I was taking stock of the number of people in the lineup as well as the number of items in their carts when an associate shows up with a trolley!  I was growing impatient by the moment. 

On the trolley was a large box containing a table and chairs as well as pretty yellow seat cushions with matching curtains. The customer's face was bright and her body language spoke to the excitement brewing inside. I smiled, remembering the first time I purchased furniture. There was a little boy looking up at his mom, clutching an action figure close to his chest. He quietly asked his mother if he could have it. She gently shook her head; without complaint, without a tear he quietly placed the box back on the shelf with obvious disappointment. Shoulders slumped, she thumbed through her money then began removing the cushions off her pile of treasurers; disappointment transferred. As I watched the exchange unfolding, I swallowed hard to fight the lump forming in my throat.

I picked up the box and asked if it would be okay if I purchased the doll for her son.  She thanked me but refused.  I quickly searched for a new approach.  I told a little white lie and offered that I would be purchasing a toy for the toy drive and would prefer to do so now and actually see the joy it brings.  She reconsidered and accepted. 
 
In order to facilitate the transaction, I moved ahead to run my purchases through.  The tired cashier's shoulders lifted and a smile brightened her face. 

I turned around and handed the box to the little boy of about six years old.  He beamed and wished me a Merry Christmas.  I got home a little earlier and a whole lot happier!

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful! Thank you for this story. May I link to it on Facebook? It's the kind of inspiration we need more of in this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alicia ... it is nice to share these precious memories with others. Please do link on Facebook ... let the giving continue!

      Ginette

      Delete