Friday, July 26, 2024

When Sadness Meets Storytelling

My lovely Bill did not subscribe to “a man’s job vs a woman’s job”. For this, I am grateful. He taught me the basics of “man jobs” while I shared the basics of “woman jobs”. This brought about much laughter and team accomplishments. 

Today, as I remember, I smile and many times chuckle. 

Recently, when I found myself performing basic car maintenance, I remembered when we had a car causing issues.  After a while, Bill figured out that if he stuck a screwdriver into the carburetor and then swoop under the car, give the starter a couple of gentle taps, the car would start.  As was his custom, he patiently taught me the steps.

The first time this choreography did not work for me, he came out to once again rehearse the process with me and encouraged a solo performance. Vroom … what a great feeling. I did it! 

We were financially struggling and this was the waltz we did to have the Pontiac 6000 start.  With time, the car started to fail more frequently and this became the accustomed routine.  At the end of a day at work … it was time to start my second job which was to - pick up Bill (one car) and go relieve the babysitter. In my “fancy” work-clothes, I jumped into the car praying it would start. Click, click, CLICK! Dang. No engine noise! I scooted out, grabbed the tarp and screwdriver from the trunk and started the waltz. Not thinking any further than … “got to run” … Bill, babysitter, children, housework. There was no room in my mind to consider what this looked like – lady in a skirt, popping the hood and then disappearing under a car! ~LOL~ Well, just my luck, some coworkers were leaving and came out to find a set of legs extruding from under the car. I got lots of male offers to help but was too prideful to accept. They were oh so impressed when the car started. Bill and I had quite the laugh as I shared the experience. 

I have to say, I received many compliments from my coworkers … woman with no boundaries. We got a full year more with that car … and many more waltzes. 

The memory of this makes me chuckle today – and I trust it will offer you a smile too. 

Ernest Hemingway ~ 
Every man has two deaths: when he is buried in the ground then the last time someone says his name 
… BILL

No comments:

Post a Comment