Friday, November 9, 2012

Being One ...

People watching ... one of our favourite games.  We used to sit with our cup of java in a public space and associate a story with the people around.  In our days, we spun stories about kings and queens in hiding, aliens plotting to take over the world, and cheating lovers whispering spicy promises.

I have been people watching for so long now, it is not surprising that it has become second nature; only now with renewed interest.    I no longer watch and pretend, I watch and listen.  I eavesdrop on conversations and watch their body language to discover their clandestine messages.  In that moment, I am keenly aware of life.

I remember the days of half-spoken messages, finishing each other's thoughts and speaking volumes with the briefest eye contact ...

"Hey did you ...."

*handing over object* "thought you might forget ..."

 "thanks ... and by the way, get out of my head ..." we would laugh!

It is not surprising that my favourite people watching today is when I come across an older couple who are out and about tending to the mundane tasks of life.  The unfinished sentences and affectionate pats pays tribute to a lifetime of being one!

2 comments:

  1. At the grocery store yesterday, I deliberately stalked an older couple, trailing behind them now, moving slightly ahead of them later. They were teasing each other's handwriting, giggling at inside jokes, touching each other casually and affectionately.

    It made me smile from the inside out. In my early days -- in the first few years -- of widowhood, witnessing such a relationship would have brought me to tears. (Sort of like that jewelry commercial that all widows love to hate.) Yesterday, though, it just filled me with happiness. No, I will never have that; but I am so glad that they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Alicia, I think that I mirror your sentiments ... on the one hand, I am so happy for them ... and I smile. On the other hand, I wonder why it is not the same for me. Guess it is about where I am at with my journey with grief! Thank you for the reminder that this too shall change.

      Delete