Monday, March 12, 2012

Forever captured ...

Saturday I stood in the never ending Wal-Mart cash queue!   As if my time is that structured, I began to lose patience until I happen to notice this adorable older couple.  He was waiting patiently placing each bag into the cart as the cashier rang more items through.  The wife watched intently and commented when she thought the price was not right or when she thought she heard the item ringing through twice.  My impatience with the lineup changed and I became mesmerized by the pure and simple symphony they offered.  How many times through their married life, did they rehearse this heartwarming melody of being together.  He stepped in a little closer to her when she commented and pointed out whether or not she was correct.  He did so gently and so very much in support of his loving wife.  There was no impatience in his body language, there was no discounting her concerns in his eyes; there was simply support of her in his heart.  She would then look up to him and he returned a gentle smile.  It was time to run her debit card through, and again he took that small step next to her, placing his weathered  hand at the base of her back and whispered something in her ear.  She reached out and wrapped her arm around his waist while she finished entering her code.  Through moistened eyes, I watched as they walked away.

This is a scene I often witness and I always wonder what it would have been.  We had rehearsed this same symphony many times over.  However, there is something to say that I will always remember what we were ... same but younger.  Bill will be captured in my heart and in my mind as forever young.

No comments:

Post a Comment