Monday, March 19, 2012

Mission Silver Fox ...

Today's encounter has me questioning my silver fox fashion statement!   

A few months before Bill's death, I told him that I was ready to let mother nature shine.  I was tired of the long hours spent in the hairdresser's chair waiting for the colour to take; after all, I had better things to do with my time.  My first white hair started to make an appearance when I was 16 and I can't count the many hours spent fighting mother nature. 

Bill's response was that he was not ready to see me with white hair.  So I did the next best thing ... I went blonde!  Takes longer for the roots to show.  After his death, I finished the process of becoming blonde only to grow more impatient with the time it took every 7 weeks to maintain this new look.  I took the plunge and had my hairdresser clip off all this craziness and let my silver fox mane shine!

I have taken a few hits since then, being asked if I qualified for senior's discount, being introduced to another younger - but older than me - widower only to have him state that he was not into the grey hair scene, etc.

But I sit here tonight still chuckling at this morning's exchange ...

I was standing in the lineup - outside - to get some coffee and oatmeal before work.  While waiting, this older gentleman was coming out and I overheard him asking the ladies in front if they had a lighter.  I reached into my pocket and produced the lighter.  Looking down at my hand, he thanked me for the light and then as he was handing it back, he looked up - way up ... to my silver hallo then back down to my eyes.  As he did so, I happen to notice that his smile grew wider by the moment.  Much like a TV animation cartoon, his whole face lit up.  He lingered but a fraction of a moment more and asked if I would be staying for coffee.  Oblivious to what was coming next, I informed him that I was not staying but grabbing my breakfast to go.

He asked where I was going and being the good little girl who respects her elders, yet feeling awkward with the question, I simply said that I would be going to work.  He looked a little puzzled and then asked if I would be done early.  Thinking this even more strange, and suffering the aftershock of being blonde for a while, I responded quite clueless, that I would be working a full day.  He then floored me!  He asked me out.

"I would very much like to take you out after work."  Yikes!  My jaw dropped! 

Okay, there are couple of things fundamentally wrong here ... why did the sight of my silver hair seem to make him so bold as to ask me out and how the heck does my getting off work early come into play? 

 
I declined politely.  His response certainly gave me pause to reconsider my silver mane ... he said that's too bad because he is wealthy!  Desperate?

I have had my chuckle, and hope that you have laughed along with me.  Truth be told, it is really not about the age thing, it is more about experiencing both ends of the spectrum; my silver crown is either a turn off or a turn on.

I am now coming to the conclusion that I am comfortable with who I am and what I look like.  Either way, it most certainly does not give anyone permission to be so bold.

No comments:

Post a Comment