Sunday, September 9, 2012

I had a dream ...


For so long, I have pleaded with Bill to come visit me in my dreams.  I have written about it, cried out loud to him before crying myself to sleep and pleaded over and over again in a whisper.  Other than the one brief moment of dancing, he has moved through my dreams as  pure essence.  Not today, he was real!

My dream was a parallel of my life today, the life where I have worked diligently to clear the physical clutter of his existence, and where I work to keep up appearances.  The house, becoming less a home and more a house was turned on its ear when I returned from work one day to find that things had changed.  Having gone to the spare room to throw myself on the daybed for a quick nap, I could sense that something was different - there was another presence.  When I woke up from my nap I heard commotion in the hallway.  I tried to get to the hallway to investigate the source of the noise but I was being held back by another who seemed to know exactly what was going on.  By the time I negotiated past this person, I finally caught a glimpse of my sons helping their father move his clothes from our room.  When I finally locked eyes with my husband, I felt for the first time in my life, his rejection.  It was a look of disappointment and disapproval, then he was gone after saying so much without uttering a word.

I rushed through the house following the noise down the stairs and through the hallway.  I ran to the garage door to find that a new bolt had been installed.  When I opened the door, I saw my new vehicle parked there next to a boat.  My heart skipped a beat for the boat was one of those "things" Bill had always wanted but we could never afford.  I smiled because the boat was parked in our garage.  I raced down the stairs to find Bill.  It did not take long to notice him walking back into the garage.

He looked thinner, younger and his hair was in a ponytail.  He always said that when he no longer needed to work for a living, that he would let his hair grow.  I just could not grasp all this change from his being away on a business trip ... he looked happy, surrounded by all these "things" he had always wanted.  Did I mention that there was big truck in the driveway?

He did not take me into his arms, he did not kiss me, but I sensed he wanted to simply be there for me.  I tried to explain why everything here had changed so much, that I had had to purchase a new car without consulting him, that I had had to change this and that while he was away, but he simply shushed me.  He looked into my heart and said, "I finally figured it out, and I no longer will be without." 

I woke up only to desperately try to fall back to sleep, "Wait Bill!"

I feel like I have just lost him all over again.  My heart is breaking and my tears will simply not stop.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, how my heart breaks for you!

    I have had maybe four or five dreams of Nick in the last 8 years. Eight years. Part of me would like to have more, but another part of me is glad that I don't ... the waking up, the saying goodbye all over again is just too painful.

    There are no words of comfort ... none ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Alicia ... there is comfort in the simple acknowledgement of the pain. It is refreshing.

    ReplyDelete