Saturday, October 8, 2011

No responses necessary ...

I was recently asked by one who is supporting another who has recently lost a spouse, "How can I be there for her?"  I rummaged through my early journal entries and came across this and shared it with her. 

I lingered with my words after, wondering how much of it is still true for me, only to realize that it is timeless. 

There are still moments when ..

I need space,
... where there are no "you'll get through this", "don't worry, it will get better" or "you've come so far, you are so strong." 

I need space and a simple acknowledgement,
... through a nodding head, through a long stare at clasped hands, through shared tears.

I need space, acknowledgement and silence
... when I cry out, I miss him, I am angry or I crave his touch. 

I need space, where no responses are necessary,
.... just a nodding head from someone who understands my actions,
.... just a nodding head from someone who understands my tears,
.... just a nodding head from someone who understands my confusion,
.... just a nodding head from someone who understands my statements, and
.... just a nodding head from someone who lives with this pain.

As I approach our 26th Wedding Anniversary, there are moments and sometimes days where I still need space, acknowledgement and silence, as in no responses are necessary.

2 comments:

  1. I sure know just what you mean about this; sometimes all I want is to be left alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm ... it is more about "no responses necessary" than being left alone. :)

    ReplyDelete