Saturday, April 30, 2011

Back to the Future ...

There are so many things and events that take me back into the past where I am reminded of Bill and what I have lost by his death.  The last couple of days have been filled with reminders. 

For the past 20 years, I have had the privilege of preparing couples for the birth of their child and supporting them through labour and delivery.  Bill took a sincere interest in the work that I do, loved to listen to my stories and then beamed with pride as he finally met each couple and they would share how they so appreciated having me support them.  He was my #1 fan.

He was always there for our boys while I was out doing prenatal visits, he was there as I prepared to meet the couple at the hospital, having my bag ready with everything I needed.  I would be at the hospital, sometimes for days, and he would make sure I had something to eat or was always there when I needed an ear because things were tough and I needed support.  After everything was done, mom back in her own room nursing, I would call and say I was on my way home.  Did not matter what time of day or night.  The outside lights were on if it was at night, and he would wait to see me come in where he had prepared fruit, cheese and a huge glass of wine.  If I happen to come home when he was at work, I would soak in my tub, climb into fresh linen and wake up to a tray of fruit, cheese and wine - and his beautiful smile.  He would sit and listen to the whole story.

Last night ... or was it early this morning ... 12:30 a.m. ... I came home and was reminded of what I have lost. 

Nine months ago, we lost our Bill.  Nine months later, we have gained a beautiful baby girl - 8lbs 2ozs and a full 19" long.  What a blessing - my great niece!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Ginette!! Both an joyful and sad as the same time. It is nice to hear something beautiful has come to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I came home and was reminded of what I have lost." Something we who grieve face each time we open the door to the now empty house. I am so glad that your great niece has invited you back into the circle of life. At least for a while, let us rejoice and be glad.

    ReplyDelete