Thursday, December 1, 2011

Bitter Sweet ...

So I took the plunge today!  My first major purchase ... a new car!  It was a difficult decision on many fronts.  Financial ... making the decision between continuing to invest in a dated car and emotional where I am giving up Bill's car.

After bringing the car in to get the "clucking" sound looked at and other "clinks" and "clangs", the total amount to fix it all was impressive!  I happen to look in the show room and came across a car that I had once test driven with Bill and the price was right.  I came home contemplating my next move and all I could think is that Bill would want me to be safe.  I called my sister, hoping to get support for this major expenditure and she said the same ... Bill would want you to be safe and independent.  All night I fretted about the decision and as I got up this morning, I could almost feel Bill tapping the back of my head saying, "This is a no-brainer!"  Actually, the thought had been knocking around in my brain for a little while, recognizing the age of the car and the feeling that I had not felt safe for a little while driving it.

I sat down with paper and pen again, doing the math, weighing the pro's and con's always reaching the same conclusion.  This is doable with some life changes and I will have confidence in my vehicle to get me from point A to point B;  no worries about car repairs for the next five years.

I dropped off my plates tonight and said I would be back tomorrow to pick up my car .... bitter sweet!  I will also be dropping off Bill's car as a trade in.

1 comment:

  1. Bitter sweet indeed. In addition to my car, I still have the car that Gwen drove. My son is using it now, but, when the time comes to part with it, I know it will be hard. So many memories. . .

    It's not as simple as "out with the old and in with the new."

    ReplyDelete