Sunday, December 11, 2011

Compassionate Friends ...

Tonight, at 7:00 p.m. across the world, parents light a candle in memory of a lost child.  This wonderful group is known as the Compassionate Friends.

For the past 8 years, I have had the privilege of lending my talents to this amazing group of grieving parents as they hold a candlelight vigil.  It is a tough spot, seeing the pain in their eyes and before last year, only imagining what it could be in their hearts.

In the previous 6 years of the 8 years, I had Bill waiting for me at home.  The vigil was over, I would pick up my technology, load up the car and drive home where I knew Bill waited for me.

Last year, I continued my support to these wonderful people and in a different way, had a deeper understanding and appreciation for their "loss".  Last year I came home having prepared my heart that Bill's arms would not be there.  This year, I came home unprepared for the emptiness. 

My heart is both full with being able, in some small way, to be there for these grieving parents ... and empty because I truly want Bill's comfort back.  I see him smiling, I know he continues to support me as I support those in need ... but tonight, well I simply need.

No comments:

Post a Comment