Friday, December 2, 2011

My baby turns 20 ...

At this time 20 years ago, I was in labour.  I had been for a while not realizing that I was.  All through the day before, Bill and his Mom were busy setting up the Christmas lights outside and my parents were with me.  For the first time, I was overdue by 5 days and my back was killing me.  I remember sitting on the living room floor, strings of lights all around me as I tested each one, replacing those that were burnt out.  All the while, tears were streaming down my face as I felt sorry for myself; no one seemed to understand that my back was so sore!  No one seemed to care for the mood was festive in the house.  My Mom and Dad left that evening to return home ... but wait!  I need you! 

I kept thinking of just how mistaken I was about the difficulties of being overdue.  As a Lamaze instructor and labour coach, I remember promising myself that I would be extra kind to those who are overdue!  My two first were premature ... this having a sore back and heightened emotions sucked!  I called my doctor as promised to check in with him about being induced the next day.  He apologized and said he had not realized that the floor would be busy, too busy for an induction.  More tears!  I wanted to be done with this sore back of mine.

Off to bed we went knowing that the next few days would be busy.  Sleep eluded me.  I was up often to go to the bathroom and I thought, "Oh great!  Now I have some kind of flu bug!"  The alarm went off and Bill got up to get ready for work.  I told ... okay, I whined about my miserable night!  I followed him like a puppy dog expecting the pat on the head in acknowledgement of how miserable I was feeling.  Just before it was time to get ready to leave, I asked Bill if he would wait a bit to help me in and out of the bathtub.  I wanted to s..o..a..k.. and get back to b..e..d.. to grab some s..l..e..e..p.  In my mind, I still see him leaning up against the vanity, patiently waiting for his very pregnant wife to finish her soak. 

Intermittently, I would wince as my back squeezed the breath out of me yet again.  He smiled and proudly announced, "Ginette, you are in labour!"  "No way!  I know what labour feels like; I've been through this twice before.  This is nothing like that." 

He finishes his toast all the while his smile going from easy going to concern.  He is checking the time between "squeezes".  "You are in labour and they are getting closer together."  I still shake my head and he disappears.  He comes back with a phone and plugs it in *no portables back then*.  He dials and is speaking with my sister ... "Yup, ummm ... yup again!  Here, talk to her."  I hear my sister's voice at the other end of the line and the tears start up again ... I can't respond - another squeeze.  It is now a little past 8:00 a.m.  Bill had disappeared again and comes back into the bathroom with my clothes.  He all but scooped me out of the tub, was frantically patting down my body with a towel all the while had started dressing me ... amazing! 

We rush to the hospital and fortunately find a great parking spot.  We walk into emerge just as another "squeeze" knocks the breath out of me!  All faces turn to me and the security guard is quick to get a wheelchair.  Bill often recounted that moment in the emergency room ... he chuckled every time.

The elevator doors opened and my sister's beautiful face appeared.  She was chuckling and Bill was too.  I was still not convinced I was in labour!   My doc is sitting at the nurse's station.  He said, "Guess we won't be needing to induce you ... the scare of it sent you into labour."  All the while, in my mind, I kept shouting, "I'm not in labour!"  The internal exam did confirm that I was in labour ... and the squeezes - dah - contractions were now coming 1 minute apart. 

The floor that day was indeed quite busy and I found myself labouring in the hallway behind a little white screen.  I laboured for a little while more and it was finally time to push this sucker out!  Two and a half hours of pushing ... and our 9lbs 11oz beautiful blue-eyed, strawberry blond baby boy was born!

All cleaned up and brought to my room, I slipped between the sheets content.  Bill turns on the little TV set to music and the first Christmas song of the season played.  I looked up into my beautiful husband's face and saw in his eyes what I had missed the day before because I was so busy being miserable.  I saw and felt all the love and admiration a person can ever want!  He was beaming.

Since that day, when I hear my first Christmas tune on the radio, I am brought back to that wonderful moment, that wonderful day!

Happy Birthday my baby boy ... know that your father is always with us.

1 comment: