Sunday, February 5, 2012

A little this and that ...

So much for my resolve to create quiet time for myself.  I spent the entire day yesterday cleaning.  Literally all day!  Aside from the few quick moments to check on the status of my iTunes, having inadvertently wiped it out while updating my iPad, I started reloading music.  Probably a good thing because it was an opportunity to clear the clutter in my iTunes and reloading only the music I really now enjoy in a more organized fashion.

Started the day with the bathroom, clearing out all the little stuff that had accumulated there, sent to the trash the empty bottles of body soap and shampoo that were piled up in the corner - amazing how the kids seem to think that the bottles finally sprout legs and march themselves to the trash can -  and then gave the fresh grout a first coat of sealer. With the kids finally up from their long night's nap, I was able to fire up the vacuum! I chuckle thinking of the look of indignation on both their faces as they realized - What?  I can't use the bathroom? As I made my way out into the hall, I realized that once again, by cleaning one room, I have added to the mess in another!  So I poured myself another cup of java, and went at it!  Grabbed the pile of towels and facecloths that had been tossed on the floor and ran downstairs with my loot to toss it into the washing machine ... then ran back up the stairs to re-fold the blankets that had been adorning the banister for a little while now - no one wanting to place them in the closet ... then ran back downstairs to get this ... up the stairs to finish that ... back downstairs to return this to its rightful place ... up the stairs to finish another that ... It was a little after 5:00 p.m. and it was now time to tackle the lower half of the house ... done with the 13 stairs to chase this and that, I only had four stairs to deal with.  By now the kids were off skating so it was an opportune time to vacuum and steam the floors!  By now, I had stopped the java and moved to Coke Zero!  More vacuuming, moving furniture and carpet transport.  Having inhaled dust and cleaner all day, I set my sites on the snow that had accumulated in the driveway during the day.  The fresh air felt great and the wind gave excuse for the tears that streamed down my face.

Around 9:00 p.m., I looked around and was quite proud of what I had accomplished, and it did not matter much that there was still more work to be done for I literally could not move anymore.  So off to bed I went, realizing that I had not brushed my teeth nor had I looked in the mirror all day to notice that my hair was standing up on ends!  *groan* ... and I had been outside shovelling ... *watch out ... mad woman armed with a shovel!*

I did a little bit of this and that to get ready for bed and literally let myself drop into the pile of pillows.  If anyone asks what I did yesterday ... I can honestly say, a little of this and a whole lot of that!  Sleep did not come immediately, but my body could not move much ... so I reached out for my iPad and listened to yet more noise. 

I had planned to have all the work done yesterday so that I could strap on my snowshoes and toss my camera on my back today - perfect picture conditions and the weather is mild, the trails are calling to me ... *groan* ... not going to happen, too much of that left to do!  Looking at the clock, I figure late enough, time to fire up the vacuum ... *moohhaaalaaa!*  Here I come, ready or not!

With that, hopefully the house will stay clean through the week and I can get out next weekend to enjoy nature's refreshing and healing powers!

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it feels so good to get things in order. I really like what you said about tears streaming down your cheeks--happens to me all the time.

    ReplyDelete