Sunday, June 5, 2011

My six great losses ... Liane, through thick and thin


Smile and the whole world will smile back.  Through thick and thin, our friendship flourished over a period of 40 years.  We met at Brownie camp, went to school together in the later years of grade school then high school and witnessed each other's major life events.   Although there was a brief interruption in our friendship in the last year of high school, we found each other ... no, she found me and our friendship resumed made stronger and deeper because of the interruption.  I remember the day she came to the office and was excited to speak with me.  Great!  I had something to tell her too!  We went to the women's bathroom where she proceeded to tell me that she was expecting a baby.  I smiled and returned the favour by telling her that I too was expecting.  We shared our first full-term pregnancy together, comparing our aches and pains and everything was made sweeter for sharing this with my best friend.  My first son was born and her eldest daughter came shortly thereafter.  Who would have thought that after meeting at Brownie camp, we would one day be sharing a cup of tea while watching our babies crawl around together.

Through thick and thin describes this wonderful person.  Through thick and thin, she smiled and her laughter was infectious.  She had a huge personality and there was no denying her presence in a crowd of people.  Generosity would be her middle name ... always present, hands and heart never empty when she felt she was needed and most times, you did not even have to ask.  Those who knew her, and loved her, were blessed many times over with her generosity.  And there were many.

This was witnessed, when their first son died.  People just kept pouring into their little kitchen.  My circle of friends seemed so small, when I sat and took stock of the many, many people who came to pay their respects and to offer some of this love back to her.  The years that followed were made difficult, but she was the glue and managed to keep it all together.

There are so many stories, so many memories, such a huge part of my life where Liane was there.  I could, and would never attempt to fill a tiny blog with all that we were to each other.  Too big a personality, too long of a friendship, too much love ~ there are no words powerful enough to write this story.  Suffice it to say, that I truly miss her great big smile that lit up a room, her big personality and energy that occupied the space, the endless generosity with her time and love and that laughter.  I miss my friend.

Liane died in a car crash while on her way to get everything necessary to stage a great Easter for her family.  Her children, all five of them, and her husband was her life.

Not long before her death, Liane called and said she was taking me out for lunch.  I had things to finish at the office and started to say that I could not join her, but quickly changed my mind.  As we sat together, she looked over at me and said she was lucky to have me in her life and that we had seen each other through thick and thin.  Although we had been friends for a very long time, this was the first time we had had such a conversation.  She said that she really needed for me to know just how much she loved me.  I cashed in a half-day vacation to spend the rest of the afternoon with my friend.  We sat in the booth and talked until nearly supper.  She opened her heart and shared her most difficult moments.  She shared them not in a way of telling the stories, for I knew them all, but what was in her heart while living through them.  We shared some laughter and some tears.  I will always cherish this afternoon with my friend.

I came home that night and sat with Bill.  We talked for hours about the conversation I had had with Liane.  All the while, my heart was telling me something.

On Easter weekend, on Saturday early evening, the phone rang.  Having a house full of teenagers, Bill always left the answering to them.  He picked up this time.  He sat down and looked up at me.  I mouthed, "Liane?"  His next few questions and comments with the caller had my heart preparing to hear something very wrong.  He hangs up to tell me that Liane had died in a car crash. 

Gone from my life in an instant but never from my heart.

I will honour your memory by living through the thick and thin of things, leaving my heart open.  The blessings of your generosity, your laughter, your love will carry me always.  Until we meet again.

2 comments:

  1. I received this comment from Liane's oldest daughter on FB. With her permission, I am posting her comment.

    She wrote ... I read this a few times over, crying more and more each time. With the wedding coming up so quickly I've been missing her immensely. Thank you for once again sharing the wonderful woman that she was to her world. I had just been beginning to see her not only as my mother but also as a friend, a friendship I knew would only blossom more and more as I took on my adult life.

    I miss you Marraine. Love you very much and I think of you often

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute to your friend, Ginette.a Your way with words astounds me.

    ReplyDelete