Monday, June 20, 2011

Nobody home - I've gone walking!


Above all, do not lose your desire to walk.  Every day I walk myself into a state of well-being, and walk away from every illness.  I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it. ~ Soren Kerkegaard

In the year before Bill's death, I had made a commitment to look after myself.  That included exercise.  I had had some serious health scares and I thought that if I did not make myself a priority, I would not be there to take care of my family.  So I started to walk.  I walked for 10 minutes a day, graduating to 20 minutes and then was walking 5 miles in less than 55 minutes.  By early summer, I was out walking Bill - he being 6'2" and me 5'4" that was quite an accomplishment.

While walking, I remember leaving not only the pounds behind but also my worries.  By the end of the walk, I always felt energized and clear minded, ready to face anything the day offered.

My son came home from work the other day and gave me a big desperate hug and whispered in my ear - don't you ever die!  I felt every new pound I've gained from sitting in my garage, and became very aware of the heaviness in his heart and in his mind.

I will live enough for two ... so yesterday, I started to walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment