Friday, July 1, 2011

Game On!

Great game last night.  We won the championship and the game proved to be quite focused and the running felt good.  I must admit that during the game I forgot that I was actually a donor at the mosquito blood bank!  Actually, I forgot many things during the course of 32 minutes ... I forgot that I was tired from a very full day at work, forgot that my dryer is still on the fritz, forgot that my sink is still clogged, forgot that I  am a widow, forgot that Bill was not physically standing at the sidelines.  What I did feel was the thrill of a game, I felt the rush of adrenaline from the running, bumping and chasing, I felt Bill's presence in my heart and will admit that there were moments when I heard his voice in my head as he coached me through a few good moves.  Game On!

As the medal was slipped over my head, I looked down and chuckled at the fact that Bill played hockey for quite a few seasons before I joined the game and did not once receive a medal.  Last year's trophy was all about him ... playing to forget, this season's win is all about me and putting into practice what I learned from watching him from the sidelines.  Interesting, that was the second time in the day where I asked myself, what would Bill say?  I made some good choices from pausing for a few moments.

I walked back to my car and my thoughts rambled on between the thrill of winning and wondering, what would Bill be saying?  Just in that moment, I heard right behind me, "Ginette, you played a really good game tonight."  What?  I looked back, and was greated by a great big smile from a friend of ours who also plays the game.  I don't think he will ever appreciate just how much his words meant to me.

1 comment:

  1. It is so encouraging to know that there are those unexpected moments of genuine happiness that happen as was the case with your friend's comment after the game.

    ReplyDelete