Friday, March 11, 2011

Another "L" Word ...

"Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face." ~ Victor Hugo

To have known Bill is to have laughed with him.  As much as he loved light he loved laughter above all.  This was also his tool to release life's pressure cooker and to move conversations forward.

I was reminded of this yesterday as I faced the fixed dryer, soon to be fixed toilet and when I heard to lovely purr of the car starting.  One of my Earth Angels came to see what he could do about my dead car; once he turned the engine over with a firm, persistent turn of the key *groan ~ two days without the car* we got to talking about old times in high school.  On the subject of high school reunions, he happen to mention the one we both attended some 20+ years ago.  I shared the story of Bill and I walking around looking at all of the different people collected at the reunion in the hopes of finding a piece of their youth!  There were tall ones, short ones, plump ones and oh yes, you guessed it some older ones with "much" younger arm candy next to them.  Being the people watchers we were, we spent the evening exchanging our version of each one's possible story.  We had quite a few chuckles as we thought of this one being the CEO of some obscure firm with a harem of mistresses (sorry but some of these people were just asking for it), another being a nuclear physicist planning on taking over the world and another once dancer now owner of a large chain of strip clubs.  With a twinkle in his eye, Bill leaned into me and quietly asked me to point out the school "harlot".  Without missing a beat and with an even bigger twinkle in my eye I responded, "You are with her!"  I still see the look of pride in Bill's eyes, as it always was, when I was able to throw back the humour and dare I say - one up him!  As I stood laughing in the driveway last evening with this old school friend, I felt the pressure of the last couple of weeks wash away. 

I am blessed with many Earth Angels who love to laugh and know how to make me laugh.  When I first heard the sound of my laughter, I was taken aback by the ease with which it came, but now I thirst for it.  I so enjoy the spring rain effect it has on my grieving heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment