Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Backslide ...

Wow, and I thought the whole world knew!  I walked away from a conversation with an old acquaintance thinking, how can this be?  I thought the whole world knew.  We stood in the aisles talking about family, work and her retirement.  It suddenly became clear that she had not heard "the news". 

I had a couple of choices ... I could continue with the conversation or let her know that Bill died a year ago.  I listened through more and then told her.  Hugs, sorry, more hugs.  Uncomfortable.  Wow, I did not think that such an interlude could raise up all the emotions. 

All night, I sifted through my emotions; searching through the depths of my heart, where things seemed okay and so obviously are not.  I continue to sway between hope and fear, living with Bill and wishing that he was still here.  I rummaged through the dishevelled parts of my life, summarizing the moments when I feel lifeless, not understanding why Bill is not with me and wishing he was here.  Like the alcoholic who has not taken a drink for a very long time, I felt disappointed in myself for this backslide but oddly relished in the drunken feeling; feeling is not lifeless.

Needless to say, it has been a sleepless night.

1 comment:

  1. I think we can expect things like this. It's not backsliding, it's life happening.

    ReplyDelete