Monday, September 5, 2011

Moments like these ...

I take it that there will always be moments like these.

I spent the end of last week preparing to take wedding pictures.  Starting with a mock photo shoot on Wednesday, spending most of Thursday evening and early Friday morning sorting through the various poses that would suit this couple then the taking of the first official pictures on Friday evening at the rehearsal party.  I thrived in the "all consuming" task.  Saturday rolled around and I was off to take the picture of the bride and her bridesmaids - makeup, hair then off to her home for the getting dressed giggles.

Zipping through the streets from one appointment to another, my mind exploded with more possible shots and then came down to the task of organizing the official shots on the 7th hole.  There was no room for grieving for I was in the purest happy moments of another's life.  The bride is sweet and her father so obviously proud.  I moved from one picture to another, watching all this happiness from my viewfinder.  Bridesmaids, flower girl, pic with Mom then pic with Dad.  My throat constricted a moment when a spontaneous shot presented itself with Dad giving his daughter a great big hug and a peck on the forehead.  Click.  A genuine moment captured.

Off we go to the golf club, where the families and friends are already gathered.  I look through the crowd and spot my two beautiful sons who actually got dressed and made their way out to the golf club on their own with no assistance from me.  *Gulp*  No more time to dwell on this, the wedding party is setting up for the walking down the aisle.  No time to pay attention to the ache that is settling in my heart.  Click, click, click ...  I do's are spoken, tears of happiness spill and recorded and off to the 7th hole for the official non-official shots.  We had very little time to waste, there was a crowd waiting to be fed and wanting to dance.  Tired and somewhat apprehensive on the quality of pictures taken, we finish the shoot and head off to the club house.  More giggles, smiles and happiness.

The banquet begins with a request for a kiss by the new couple.  Click, click, click ... more spontaneous moments of happiness captured.  Shovel some food down and then came the speeches.  They were short and to the point, ending with Daddy saying how proud he is of his little girl. 

The evening goes on with all of the traditional dances and moments with the cake, bouquet and garter.  I finally get to put my camera away.  I am tired and I watch the guests dancing.

I guess there will always be moments like these ... a song comes on and as I watch the dance floor fill with couples gazing in each others' eyes I seek refuge in a corner to finally let a tear roll.  I miss dancing, I miss Bill.  He was with me all this while, feeling his presence when I doubted myself during the day and smiling when I knew I had captured a great shot.

As I have penned before, I wonder what I am grieving ... this was definitely not a moment of grieving a lifestyle, but rather the man who loved to dance with me.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes, Ginette, we don't question what we are grieving--how could you not shed a bucket of tears when you saw all the happy couples dancing, gazing into each others eyes. I cried just reading your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ginette,tears are rolling down my face as I finished reading this.I am a 20 years old girl who is following your blog for a while now.I am with you on this journey,this journey that I'm sure you didn't want to ever be a part of.
    One particularly phrase touched me '' There was no room for grieving for I was in the purest happy moments of another's life.''
    Surround yourself with moments like these more often Ginette,I am praying that God’s peace gives your heart rest and heal you down to the last cell.
    My biggest fear in life is to experience loss,loose people(child,husband,friend you name it) but reading your blog, where you tell your story,giving voice to your pain made me realize that telling is as important as the remembering.That path to healing is long and there are no shortcuts.Hold on to hope.I often ask this question why terrible things happen to people? trying to understand why life that is so lovingly given to each of us, is at times so cruelly taken away.When I stopped asking ,I began to see it’s not about finding answers, it’s about having faith.Faith comes first and hope follows.I pray for God’s comfort blanket of love to wrap around your heart right now.He loves you too much to leave you where you are.Walk it out, day by day, step by step with God as your guide!
    Psalm 147:3 He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
    Isaiah 41:10So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
    Ooh this was a long one
    Love and hugs.
    Nadia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nadia,

    Thank you for your kind words and thoughtful prayers. Indeed, this has been quite the journey and one I did not want to travel. I always knew that my time with Bill would be short but did not want to believe that I would be so young when God would call him home.

    I am touched that you have found me through my blog and hope that you continue to find there what you seek.

    Ginette

    ReplyDelete