Thursday, September 1, 2011

I need a hug ...

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been stewing about my loss.  My heart has truly been with Bill, not in a sad way, for l truly believe he continues to live in me, in his boys and in all who were blessed by knowing him.  The sadness is more about the loss of a lifestyle.  You know the one, filled with the simple gifts.  I remember, so many times, coming home from a long day at work and saying, "I need a hug."  Instantly, without question, I found myself back in my "safe place" and the cares of the day washing away.

Last night, my youngest son informed me that he will be moving in with a friend this weekend.  My heart stopped for a moment and I managed to hold back the tears until he went out.  I paced, sat then paced some more, all the while tears of abandonment poured out.  So soon?  Why now? Are you not happy here? ... sound familiar?

I took a look around this big old house, and it already seems that much bigger and emptier.  Loss of a lifestyle.  The simple gifts of hearing my son's laughter every day, of stepping into his bedroom in the morning to wish him good morning, of asking him about his day - changed.

I need a hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment