Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Blessing ...

It was love at first sight - well okay, maybe not "love" but definitely "Yum" at first sight!  In the 26 years of knowing Bill, that "Yum" was there every day.  The love part came rushing in soon after.

I often relive that day in my mind.  I had gone to my brother's office to make a photocopy of my "typed" resume only to meet the man who would win my heart.  I still see his lopsided grin as he watched me hug my little brother and the twinkle in his eye as he watched me walk over to the photocopier.  He was on the phone with someone and I could feel his eyes on me as I stood in front of the photocopier making copies of my resume.  (Okay, I'll admit - I played that one up a little, knowing I had an audience!)  He could not get off the phone quick enough as I was done my task and getting ready to leave.

He sauntered over, in his light blue pants (yup the '80's) and a white shirt and dark blue tie.  As he extended his hand to shake mine, I noticed that he had neatly rolled up the cuff and I marvelled at the strength of his forearm.

We spoke briefly - mostly him because I could barely get three English words together and I was off to my interview.   

Bill and I would often talk about that first meeting and what he remembered most was the voice in his head that said, "There she is, she is the one!"  He described it as this was a clear voice, as if someone was standing next to him pointing out that he had finally met his wife. 

I chuckle to myself right now because I also remember saying more than once, that Bill did not have a "romantic bone" in his body.  Now I realize that he may not have been the "wine and dine" with "flowers and candles" kind of guy but he always amazed me with just how deep he cared and felt. 

As I look up to the stars in the sky, I remember our walks together under these same stars and somehow feel forever connected to Bill.  I also know that up until now my focus has been on the life we did not get to finish together.  Maybe it is time to change this focus and remember the blessing I had in the 26 years together.  My life has been made richer for having him as my husband and my friend.  He knew and trusted, that I would be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment