Friday, May 13, 2011

Because we love each other ...

Leaving the house this morning, I was greeted by the warm moisture in the air and the smell of a day long ago, when the mist had washed my fears away. 

Times were tough with cutbacks and claw backs.  Making ends meet took on a new dimension and my coupon clipping became an art if not almost a full-time job.  I had watched my mother divide food for ten people and learned from her practices how to stretch a penny. 

Bill came from a similar background, however, the food was never the biggest concern for his dad was an avid and successful hunter and fisherman.  I remember the first time I walked into their back porch to find this mammoth freezer - big enough to hide at least three grown men!    You can well imagine what was going through my mind.

Despite all my efforts of taking on extra contracts, sowing my children's clothes, running out for sales and cashing in coupons, our penny was now stretched to the max.

On that particular Saturday morning, early June, when the green of the lawn and the new leaves comes but once a year, Bill and I decided to put on our coats and baseball caps to enjoy our coffee outside.  I can almost still taste that coffee.  I can certainly remember that lush green.  Bill looked forward to those few special days in the year.

Grandma was inside watching over the boys and we took refuge under the balsam tree.  There was a gentle mist coating the blades of grass and gentle drops were splashing down from the leaves.  Everything became so still.  I had been agonizing for so many weeks about how were we going to manage financially.  In that moment, when everything became so still, I looked into Bill's eyes.  I still see his gentle smile as he returned the gaze.  In that very moment, the combination of smell, mist and love coming my way, washed all my cares away.  The answer was simple, we will manage because we love each other. 

This morning, I lifted my face and let the mist renew me ... and was reminded, because we love each other!

1 comment:

  1. Bill was a lucky guy to have you, Ginette. This is such a lovely piece that you wrote here. The mist doesn't make life mysterious, it cleanses and makes it clear. WOW, what great insight.

    ReplyDelete