Friday, May 6, 2011

Prayers to Heaven

I pray to the birds because I believe they will carry the messages of my heart upward.  I pray to them because I believe in their existence, the way their songs begin and end each day - the invocations and benedictions of Earth.  I pray to the birds because they remind me of what I love rather than what I fear.  And at the end of my prayers, they teach me how to listen.
~ Terry Tempest Williams

What special words that express my daily blessings. 

While out on a quick break from my hectic day yesterday, I was met by a robin.  It was busy but kept a watchful eye on me.  It did not flutter away as I approached and even came to settle not two feet from where I stood still.  In enjoyed watching this beautiful creature of Spring.  I chuckled inside as I was reminded of the time we were at our first little home and had just finished washing the car.  A robin came to splash in the pool of water at the end of the driveway.  Bill stood there and mimicked the rustling of the bird's plumage as the water splashed in every direction.  He so enjoyed watching a bird bathe.  I was also reminded that after Bill was done his morning routine the vanity top was often riddled with the splashing of water and I would tease him and call him my little bird!  I went back into the office with a lighter heart.
Mid-afternoon, I was out again for another quick break (aka ~ smoke break) and was met by a total of six robins - all busy foraging and again not too terribly disturbed by my presence.  I watched the peaceful scene and named each one - Diane, Judy, Zotique, Liane, Bill and June.  The six major losses in life, carrying my prayers to Heaven.

3 comments:

  1. This was left by my sister on FB yesterday ... I just needed to share.

    "When I was reading: "You're too cute.", I thought of the time you had come to my place with Bill, your new fiancé. You were playing with the boys and came running in the kitchen and up the stairs telling one of them you wanted a kiss. Bill smiled and said: "Life will surely not be boring."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginette, today there were beautiful gold finches in the feeder. Still no sign of hummingbirds, but I know they are coming. What a beautiful gift from your sister. Did you get the kiss?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful. I believe the eagles here carry messages to Rob. People look at me odd when I talk to them! Trust me I usually do it in private but doesn't it figure someone always comes out of the "woodwork!" :)

    ReplyDelete