Friday, May 27, 2011

The first of everything ....

Last night, on the heels of great news, a friend suggested that we go to the boardwalk to take pictures.  My first reaction was no way, no how, not in this lifetime.  The lake and its peaceful boardwalk was OUR favourite place.  We spent many hours walking around the lake and sat through many lunches together at its picnic tables and had the greatest conversations from the heart on those benches.  How can I go back there?

Breathe I reminded myself.  In that moment, I yearned for what the lake has always offered me, peace.  I got busy ... camera is charged - check.  Disk is empty - check.  Coffee brewed - check.  Smile on my face - check.  We have a launch.

Driving out to the lake, I shared with my friend that this would be my first visit to the lake since Bill's death.  He suggests that we take a few tissues.  I smile.  Peace settles in my heart.  The lights on the water, the muffled sound of traffic and the cool breeze on my face renewed something in me.

We walked the trail to the boardwalk and I am reminded that it is not the first year ... but the first of everything.


 

2 comments:

  1. How lovely, Ginette, "This is not the first year. . .but he first of everything. What an eye for beauty in the ordinary you have. Love that boardwalk picture with the light shining through. Keep on being brave and doing those firsts of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P. S. What I meant to say is that the boardwalk picture makes me think of "into the light."

    ReplyDelete