Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Riverbank of life ....

I got a very special visit this week.  It was wonderful to see his face, to sit in the kitchen and chat.  As I watched him checking the clock behind me often, and the watch on his wrist at regular intervals, I was reminded that life is too short, and we really don't see each other enough.  How quickly life can slip by only to find ourselves wondering, "Where did the time go?"  I was also reminded of a previous blog "Do I Scare You?"  We were of course, talking about my favourite subject these days ... grief!  What else is there?

After he left, I started to think of how many times did I wish Bill would move a little quicker, checking my own watch thinking we were going to be late.  Or wished he would take action a little sooner because he was losing out on a golden opportunity!  Now ... now I get it ... life is as simple as ... "good I am breathing!  Just checking."

I parked at the river tonight, for the first time, and wondered why the tears were not there to accompany my heart.  Life goes on and the river will always be there; I simply see it in a different light.

Photo by:  G. Walton 2011
How I miss Bill's constant companionship - him standing alongside me with his Timmy cup in hand, watching the swirling river moving by.  No words needed - we were simply together.  Somehow, somewhere in my mind, I felt his presence on the other side - he had crossed over.  We are standing at the same river of life, he on the other side and I waiting for the day that God will have me cross over.

Until then Bill, I will look after our boys, love them enough for the two of us!  I will be there for your sisters and your brother... and love them enough for the both of us as I did for your mom. 

One day, we will be again, on the same side of the river!

Photo by:  G. Walton 2011

2 comments:

  1. You are so right Ginette. I think of everything its the constant companionship I miss so terribly. The person who knows you, laughs with you, understands what you need, and more than loves you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginette, you were so brave to park at the river. I have all of that ahead of me when this summer I pay a visit to Gwen's hometown and revisit many of the places where we enjoyed life to the fullest. Your comments about the river remind me of an old saying: "You never step in the same river twice." Once you've crossed over none of that will matter. Hugs across the miles.

    ReplyDelete