Thursday, May 19, 2011

That which we have rejected ...

The moment comes when our eyes are opened, and we see and realize that grace is infinite.  Grace, my friends, demands nothing from us but that we shall await it with confidence and acknowledge it in gratitude .. that which we have chosen is given us, and that which we have refused is also, and at the same time, granted us .. that which we have rejected is poured upon us abundantly. - Isak Dinesen

Many times I have wondered how will I ever accept the loss of our hopes and our plans for the future.  Will there ever be a moment of grace where I will acknowledge and embrace a new life?  Will there be a moment when everything is not tainted with melancholy?  What will that moment be? 

This morning, I am reminded of the very moments when I have felt Bill's presence or was reminded of the impact he has made on my life.  There are the times when life seemed so dark I did not want to go on and he was there.  When his mother died and I felt his hand on my shoulder.  The moments in the garage with my sons talking and yes laughing about something or other, I feel his presence and admire the influence he has had on his sons; these wonderful, warm, loving and sincere young men. 

I have been granted many moments of grace and I am truly thankful! ... that which we have rejected is poured upon us abundantly!

1 comment:

  1. I suspect that, at least for me, life will always be tinted with a little melancholy. One of the graces I've received is establish a relationship with you and other bereaved spouse on the net.

    ReplyDelete